Wednesday, June 6, 2012

 So I got the chance to come to Net Root nation in Providence Rhode Island. Sue and I got scholarships to attend on the condition that we blog about the experience. So here I am. It's very ironic because I am in the company of bloggers and activists and I am really neither anymore. Although I have been thinking about the fact that I don't blog. I mean, blogging should be up my alley. When I was a child I published my own newspaper and wrote books. I can't really explain why I don't blog, maybe its because I am on the computer all day or maybe I don't find I have much to say. Anyway, I do honor my obligations so here goes.

We caught the Megabus to come here. Several frineds have taken the bus to New York City and raved about the experience so we decided to try it. I figured it would beat me driving from Pittsburgh to Rhode Island. The bus from Pittsburgh came on time and got us to New York about a half an hour early. It was a double decker bus although we sat on the first floor. The bus was clean and the ride up was nice. One thing that did happen on the way up pissed me off. We stopped at a "rest stop" on interstate 80 and was I waiting in line for the next cashier when a gentlemen grabbed me by the shoulders and shoved me toward the cashier and made a comment about the line being open. The cashier was not even there. It upset me that he put his hands on me and felt that he had the right to do so. I wondered if it was because of my size -- would he have done that to a full size person? It was also ironic as I had just finished reading an article in Rolling Stone on the actor Peter Dinklage who is small at four foot six.  He said he received a lot of unwanted attention when he lived in New York City.

The trip from New York City was okay -- the bus wasn't as nice but we went through a great part of the city amd I saw a lot of sights I had never seen before including Yankee Stadium. We are staying at the Westin which is a great, swanky hotel. After getting a good night sleep we attended the LGBT pre-conference. It was great to be in a room with 100 plus queer people and the topics we discussed were interesting. One of the panels was on gay mariage and it was affirming to hear prominent gay people share my belief that gay marriage was not the issue that we should be pushing when there are other important rights such as employment discrimination. Tomorrow is the beginning of the official conference. Should be interesting as they are expecting over 2700 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment