Saturday, December 31, 2011

Out with 2011

It's been months since I last blogged. I wanted to do this enough to be journalistic but it quickly fell by the wayside with so many other things in my life competing for my attention.

This year I have had an opportunity to grow and pay attention to the red flags in my life that mean I need to be careful about a person or situation. So that's a big improvement for me. I'm also learning to stand up for myself which is better late than never. I have some new year's resolutions I want to jot down and hopefully I will keep at least some of them.

I used to have this nightmare about my favorite record store, Paul's CDs in Bloomfield closing. And then it was announced that it was going to happen. The great news is that one of his employees is going to keep it open and going strong with more of an emphasis on vinyl records. Which really is an example of everything old is new again -- when I was younger vinyl records  were all we had!! Luckily for me I have a record player so it might be nice to get back to listening to real records again. Plus I got a rad shirt for Xmas that says, "I buy vinyl."

Borders books in the North Hills where I spent a lot of my pre-relationship days closed. Before I found Paul's CDS I would go there to buy my music. I also used to go there just to sit and read and be around other people. Now all we have left is Barnes and Noble. I like book stores although I have to confess I have not bought very many books lately. The Kindle and its ilk intrigue me. Although I still like to hold a book in my hands just like I like to hold a record/CD in my hands.

Things in life come and go. My tabby cat who I had since 1993 died this year. Boris and Natasha who I've had since 1997 are getting older. The last vestiges of my former life. But that's what New Years is for, for reflecting on things. But, its also a time for looking ahead to a new year and maybe some great possibilities. You just never know.     

So Auld Lang Syne!

No comments:

Post a Comment